Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:50:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, John A Chapman wrote:

> Even that doesnt always help. Sure the thawks all come on at the start
> of movement - this at least lets you know how many you have to deal with.phew:)
> Unfortunately he gets to start them on different points of the back line
> and only one moves at a time. Therefore while a FS has shots left there is only
> ever (at most) 1 Thawk in range.

That can be a problem alright. I can't think of a 100% way to counter it.
How large is your playing board? Could you place your Firestorms farther
forward? Unless you are playing on a large board and/or you are placing
your Firestorms too far back I would have thought most/some would have
been in range. Any other suggestions out there?

> I wont even go in to LOS problems here (ie
> we set a hight for Thawks and actually figure out LOS rather than just assuming
> anything - even something right behind a building - can see it or other flyers)

But I will, IMHO you have created a problem with a 'reasonable' houserule.
By giving the Thawk a set hight you have effectively increased the
usefulness of the thawk. The thawk is somewhat balanced by being 'at
risk' from all enemy fire because everything can draw LOS to it. I use
thawks and I have often wished that there was some way to hide them in
flight. If your opponent wants increased power thawks (something that was
already a good deal) then he should have to pay for it. Explain the
balance argument to him and ask him to pay more for them, or just follow
the written rule.

> Its an expensive tactic but it allows at least one turn of free movement for
> his marines - often enough to grab objectives / VPs to win the game.....
>
> JAC

I've been following this thread (probably the single best thread
on the list right now IMHO) and have come to the conclusion that you are
just being screwed. Some would argue that you are being cheesed out, but
I don't buy that. What it looks like to me is that most of the house
rules you have agreed to strengthin your opponent (chaos) and weaken you
(eldar). The problem isn't that one army is weaker than another it is
with your house rules. Try dropping them and then try wining.