[Epic] Things on tap, feedback wanted and some random rants

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:18:21 -0500

I have a set of Epic projects that I would like some feedback on.

I) Finishing the "Web" version of A. Brain's Flavor rules.
    What do you think of the current lay out of how army lists are being
done? i.e. the data chart at the top has all units that could be in
that detachment, even support units. Or should I go with "master" unit
table with cross links from the detachment page or both. Does any body
care? URL for this project is:
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/epic/new_rules/Flavor/index.htm

II) Medieval/Fantasy Epic. This is NOT Warhammer Epic. If any thing
this is Epic AD&D I am looking at say 4 kinds of infantry, 2 types of
cavalry and say a dozen monster type critters plus mages and other
"Fantasy" type dudes Which brings up the concept of mages. Are they:
1) just another psyker
2) A high fire power / low assault unit
3) IG artillery in a thin plastic disguise
4) all of the above.

III) Doing Epic 30K army lists (taken from WD 124-136 or there about)
There are some weird side effects to a literal translation, like the
"free" Terminator for the Space Marine Regimental command unit, and of
course the "free" Bane blade for the IG. We will see about that....

IV) adding in the last of the "missing" rules from SM-1 (hero rules,
elite detachments [why do I want to spell that eLiTe DeTachMents d00d ?]
and my favorite, off board artillery support.)

<rant>
The more I re-read the rules and army lists for SM-1 the madder I get.
Compared to them SM-2 is, well, lets just say, -bad-.. I have about
the same feelings about SM-2 vs SM-1 and some of the Net Epic folk do
about E40K vs SM-2.
For the record just in case any body doesn't know about how I feel about
this:

The Army Card system plus the whole victory point system in Epic Space
Marine 2nd Ed suck rocks. Any grip/bitch/moan etc. about Epic 40,000
that is based on either of those 2 issues is, IMNHO, flawed. I am not
sure which one of the two caused me the most pain, but I tend towards
the victory point thing. But enough of that rant right now.

At any rate, in My Not Humble Opinion, Epic 40,000 is derived from Space
Marine 1st Ed, not 2nd Ed, if you must draw lines of descent for it.
There for the E41K project will, at least on the parts I am doing,
place a "stronger" emphasis on unit in Space Marine 1st Ed than in 2nd
ed, if their is a major change between the 2 rules sets.

</rant>