Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Space Marine Army List Part I (LONG)

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 14:09:15 -0400

Hey, JM it's only been a day since you posted this stuff and some of us
are busy watching football on Sundays! <grin> I appreciate your work
and here's a response to keep you from feeling ignored.

> 4. Ultra Marines. Not only are you NOT the standard from which all
> other Marines are derived from, your army list has the greatest change
> from the then current Codex.

Didn't know this at all. Yet they became the standard unusually enough.

> A Space Marine Legion has up to 20 Regiments.

So 540 platoons max, is my math right?

> 1 Commander Terminator Stand 50 pts.

i.e. Terminator stand + Command or Terminator Stand + Hero, Command. If
the latter, do you get two saves? (I assume yes, since one is the
'heroic' save, the other for the armor).

> Battalion HQ Detachment: (142 pts. plus cost of platoons)
> 1 Space Marine Battalion Commander ("Captain") 50 pts.
> Upgraded to Assault

Okay, so this is a Space Marine Stand + Hero, Assault? Or + Jump Packs
too? 20cm move, 15cm range, 7 Assault Value - like a current Space Wolf
Blood Claw Captain. Does this guy have Command too?

> from the Space Marine Platoon Lists. Note that the "Razorback" option
> is not available for Horus Heresy era games.

Only the Razorback is new since 30,000? Talk about stagnation...

> A regiment has a total of 27 to 42 space marine platoons (27 line

I like your description of line and support platoon organization. A bit
confusing at first but it makes sense on a second read-through.

> Tactical Platoon (unlimited)
> 4 Tactical Squads (8 units) 120 pts.
> Mounted in 4 Rhinos 148 pts.
> Mounted in 4 Land Raiders 280 pts.

EVERYONE gets land raiders? I thought I read somewhere that the old
Land Raiders didn't have the ability to transport troops?

> Terminator Platoon (up to 12 per regiment) [yes, this means that you
> could have a full battalion]

Wow.

> Dreadnought Platoons (up to 12 per Regiment)
> 5 Dreadnoughts 135 pts.

Again, Wow. That's a lotta Dreads.

> Robot Platoons (up to 9 per Regiment)
> 5 Robots [Not in E40K See E41K list]

Interesting - why did the Space Marines stop using 'em?

> Jet Bike Platoon (unlimited)
> 5 Jet Bikes [Not in E40K See E41K list]

Cool, now to find some models...

> [See E41K for why this is different from a Land Speeder Platoon]

Okay, I'll get on that in a sec.

> Drop Pod Platoon (up to 6 per regiment) 120 pts.
> Each Drop Pod Platoon has enough drop pods to support 2 infantry
> platoons

Interesting choice to make the player pay for drop pods. Will they have
abilities/stats or just as the standard E40k drop pods?

Very neat post, waiting eagerly for the legion-specific stuff.

Regards,

- Erik