Re: [Epic] Unrealistic Close Assault

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 01:25:14 PST

Tu as �crit :

>This is of particular importance as I am an Eldar playing constantly
>facing
>down Tyranids. When moving units into base to base contact, do you
>move
>them to the closest unengaged targets ( a la WH40K) or can you double
>up as
>you please.

You must engage the closest unengaged targets (� la WH40k).

> This virtually guarantees a Tyranid detachment can wipe >out any
>one of mine, but it also means 4 units of Eldar assault troops can
>beat up a
>few Termagants and force a HUGE Tyranid detachment back. Strange.

To prevent this situation, this is what I thought :
When a detachment is engaged in close assault, resolve the combat as
usual. If the detachment is defeated and if the assault value of its
engaged units (+ support fire of the units at less than 15cm) is equal
at 1/2 of its total assault value, then this detachment must retreat as
usual. If the value is less than 1/2 of its total assault value, the
detachment must retreat but is not demoralized and only receive as many
BM as its casualties... If the attacker is defeated then the standard
rules are used.

If I was not clear (sorry for my English), this is an example :
A detachment of 2 guardians and 4 aspect warriors is engaged by a
detachment of 4 Assault Marines.
The 4 Marines engage the 2 guardians who are far from the rest of their
detachment (20cm) except from one aspect warriors who is at less than
15cm.
Assault Value of the Imperial detachment : 4x4=16
Assault Value of the Eldar detachment : 2x1=2 +1 (support from the
aspect warrior) -> 3

Eldars lose the combat (surprising!) by 6 points of difference. The two
guardian units are destroyed.

As the total assault value of the Eldar detachment is 18 then the
detachment must only retreat, is not demoralized and only suffers 2 BM.
During the Eldar assault phase, the Aspect Warriors will be able to
engage their enemy...

What do you think about this?

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

                  Lord's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 01/06/97

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/