Re: [Epic] SM Chaos

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:21:49 -0600

---------> Consider that button pushed...

>Frankly, I wanted to get Titan Legions but, in all the years I've been
>playing 40K, I NEVER found anyone who played it.
----------> Neither could I, so I bought it and convinced my friends to try
it. Haven't had a problem since. Convinced a few others as well.

 At least now I can find
>people to play.
---------> A good thing, but you could try to start something yourself, too.

As far as EPIC being brain-dead, its cool to be able to
>finish a 1500 pt game in under two hours. I don't mind complexity (I
>still play ASL) but miniature games are slow enough without hundreds of
>die roll and charts to look at.
------------> Not too many charts in SM/TL other than unit stats, and once
you know them, you rarely need them. E40K kept the other tables and added a
bunch more,like firepower, firefights, assaults, etc.

>And enough about GW being evil, the fact is 40K/Epic/Warhammer are the
>best supported miniature games in the history of humanity. On any given
>Sunday, I can find a new person to play in any of half a dozen game
>shops in my neighborhood. The only game that can beat that is "Magic".
>
> -- Aaron

---------------> They are well supported, until a new version comes out,
which invalidates half of your mini's. So far we've had 2 WH40K's(did both),
3 Epics(did 3 of them), and 5 (!) versions of WHFB (did 4 of them). Since
they only support the current 3 versions of these games, they're running
about 30% if look at the versions seperately.Not to mention other good games
like ManOWar and Blood Bowl (and it's 3 versions). ASL has been using the
same rulebook for 12 years now - they've added to it, without forcing
everyone to constantly buy new rules to play the same forces. I wouldn't
call them evil, but it understandably makes people mad. SM/TL was a good
game that was fairly popular in the U.S. - maybe not as much as Fantasy or
40K, but sold a lot better than many other companies flagship products. E40K
is a good game also, but it was presented as an evolution of SM/TL which it
is not - if they'd revised the existing system, people would have groused
but not quit. Froma gamer's point of view, many people would say they mad a
mistake.
    As it is, many people did quit, and the game doesn't seem to be as big
as GW thought it would be, so from a "business" point of view, they may have
a made a mistake as well - I'd say it remains to be seen.
    If the game had really taken off, it might be different, but right now I
can't get many of the old players to play it and I can't get many new
people interested in it either - and there just isn't the in-store
popularity you used tto see either, so I'd say there is an issue somewhere.
I'm a lot happier to have some form of Epic supported rather than none at
all, and I'm concerned about how it will go in the future.

Chris Miller