Re: [Epic] Boardgames (or more non-epic stuff)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:17:36 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 19-Feb-98 Re: [Epic] Boardgames (or m.. by Andy
Skinner_at_...
> I'm definitely moving towards an interest in simpler games. I recommend
> Full Thrust as a simple spaceship game that is a lot of fun. I haven't
> played recently, but I hope that will be one of the alternate games
> around here.

I can second the motion for Full Thrust; and once the new construction
rules come out, either with the Fleet Book or FT 3rd edition, I'll be
finishing up my Space Fleet conversions.... ^_^

> We are possibly about to have a "group" here soon. Before I moved to
> Massachusetts, I mostly played one friend I knew from work. (Though
> Aaron Teske came by once with his Squats.)

I do b'lieve I also dropped by for a Full Thrust battle or two... good fun. ^_^

> Although I'm hoping this will turn into a way for me to actually play
> this game a bit more than I have in the past, I'm also hoping to get a
> group of people willing to try a few other things. That means I'll have
> to try some stuff, too, even the more complicated things people want to
> try. Fair's fair. :-)

My own favorite game-of-the-time-period is Heavy Gear. Between the
kitbashing to make a couple of the minis, a fairly simple tactical rules
system, and a great background (that *doesn't* make the Gears
all-powerful, ala Battletech), I'm having a great time! Better yet, I'm
thinking of using the Gears as some sort of battle suit in Stargrunt II;
while I don't have the rules for that yet, it should be interesting to
build the suits. I can then use my Squats for out-of-suit infantry....
^_^

>I want to try Full Thrust
> (GZG space minis game), Dirtside II (just to compare--I'm not sure it
> offers me more of what I want, though I'm interested in the activation
> system),

Hmm, DSII. Gotta actually play that soon... hopefully at the GZG con.
<grin> And then SGII for me as well... maybe....

>There's just not enough
> time!

I know the feeling....

>And I can't play every Saturday, or my family will feel (rightly)
> slighted.

Well, ya just gotta get them to play, too! ^_-

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...