Re: [Epic] Daemon Names (was: Questions)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:16:19 -0500

Scott Shupe wrote:

> This reminds me, there's a daemon name generator in
> the Khorne/Slaanesh ROC book... Might be handy for coming up
> with Chaos commander or detachment names. Maybe I'll transcribe
> it and post it here if there's interest (actually, now that I
> think about it I'll probably transcribe it anyway for my web
> page).

        OK, after actually going back and reading the bit about
Daemon names in ROC: Slaves to Darkness, I saw that they weren't
as useful as I thought they might be to Chaos commanders. But I'm
posting this anyway. =) Because (a) it's kinda interesting and (b)
you can still use these tables to generate names for the daemons in
your army, especially the Greaters. You could name your daemon
infantry detachments after the Greater Daemon HQ, or, if there is
no GD, you can perhaps find inspiration in the daemon titles I also
included here. This should also be good for naming daemon engine
detachments, especially those engines that have a GD bound inside
of them (the Lord of Battles and the Plague Tower).

        Those of you that remember the old Epic battle reports in
SM/TL might recall one where the Chaos commander named his Lord of
Change with something that was largely a string of random characters
and apostrophies. Although I didn't realize it at the time, he
probably got that from the True Name table below.

        All of this will probably appear on my website in the near
future.

        Every daemon has a true name that they never willingly
reveal to anyone or anything, as knowing a daemon's true name gives
one power over that daemon (extremely strong daemons sometimes boldly
proclaim their true names, a sure sign that the creature is too
powerful for the knowledge to be of any help). As a result, daemons
often adopt use-names to identify themselves. Use-names have no real
power, and a daemon may adopt new ones from time to time depending on
its moods.

        Generally speaking, the longer the name, the more powerful the
daemon.

        Chaos champions can be gifted with True Names as they progress
upon the path of chaos, but chances are the champion will continue to
use his/her real name and not reveal the daemon name. Besides,
"Rhug'guariihlulan's Berzerkers" just doesn't have a good ring to it.

        Hopefully the tables will come out correctly here...

DAEMON TRUE NAMES

Type of Daemon Elements in True Name
-------------- ---------------------
Greater 1d6 or 2d6 x Chaos god's number
Other Chaos god's number

Chaos God Number
--------- ------
Slaanesh 6
Nurgle 7
Khorne 8
Tzeentch 9

second first die roll (d6)
die roll
(d10) 1 2 3 4 5 6
----- - - - - - -
1 A COG FL LL SS CC
2 ER KW PP Z AA DA
3 FOL MM SH ABL DE G'G
4 N'N TH AE DH GZ O
5 THL AK DH HH OA TL
6 AN DU HL OE U AO
7 E I OO UL AR EE
8 II OW UU BH EO IL
9 RH Y IO EU IR PH
10 YY CH FF KS Q' ZH

        The book encourages you to re-arrange whatever is rolled to
produce something more pronouncable (good luck) or more appealing.
The example they give is "G'garulhliiulrhan", which they re-arrange
to "Rhug'guari'ihlulan".

DAEMON USE-NAMES

Type of Daemon Elements in Use-Name
-------------- --------------------
Greater 4 (split into 2 names of 2 elements)
Lesser 2

second first die roll (d10)
die roll
(d20) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
----- - - - - - - - - - --
1 blue dangle dreg fondle grind grunt mad pox quiver slash
2 suck thigh bane carnal fiddle hot mucus sate vex bubo
3 chew dog gibber gnaw grope maul offal pus spasm spittle
4 sword wrack cackle fang hammer mildew rot toad bile blister
5 canker eat fester flux glut hate ichor leper mire rend
6 rut skull spike tremble vomit wind brute dung glop gut
7 mark red spider thrash bag blade cold death face fist
8 grab gristle helm loon pest puke rip sharp spume sweat
9 vile whip blunt drink gall gross maggot rabid sore taint
10 worm belch bog buttock crush fire froth gobble grim liver
11 maim moulder pinch scratch slobber spew stare wart wobble blood
12 doom foul grin loose putrid slob sting wither axe black
13 break dread eye thrust fury grue heart loath mange quake
14 rheum scum smut tear twist water blast cut foam green
15 lewd plague slake squeeze whine ash beast chaos crab drool
16 fiend gnash grasp hack lick nibble pierce reap scab spite
17 spurt throb war beetle craze flesh gore lip pile sin
18 spot warp bend blight bowel clap fat flush fume gob
19 howl lust man ooze rotten sinew slug spoor venom wight
20 bite claw filth glutton kill pain scrape spine wail burble

        The tables are really just a guideline; ROC encourages you to
fool around with whatever you roll up (or to just choose what you want
off of the tables and not roll at all) in order to get something that
you like and that suits the daemon. For instance, if you roll up
"Suckthigh" for a Bloodletter, you might want to re-roll or just pick
something suitably Khorne-ish like "Doomspike" (although the first
name would be good for a Daemonette of Slaanesh).

        The book also encourages adding titles and whatnot to the name
to make it sound more impressive, such as "Doomspike the Render of
Limbs". So I've also included the alternate daemon titles for each
daemon type found in the ROC books to provide some inspiration.

        When it comes to naming actual units in 40k or FB armies, the
book encourages you to create a name for any greater daemons and assign
a title to units of lesser daemons, possibly working in the name of one
of the lessers. So for instance you might name your Keeper of Secrets
"Fluxcarnal Fleshpiercer" and your unit of Daemonettes "The Bringers
of Joyous Degradation" or perhaps "Suckthigh's Bringers..."

        Here are the alternate daemon titles, which should give chaos
players mucho inspriation for detachment names, at the very least.

Bloodthirster titles:
Fists of Khorne, Deathbringers of Khorne, Drinkers of Blood, Blooded
Ones, Lords of Skulls, Guardians of the Throne, Eaters of Gore and
Flesh, High-handed Slayers.

Bloodletter titles:
Khorne's Chosen, Takers of Skulls, Teeth of Death, Horned Ones, Naked
Slayers.

Fleshhound titles:
Beasts of Khorne, Hunters of Blood, Flesh-Renders, Inevitable Ones.

Juggernaut titles:
Blood Crushers, Soul Crushers, Juggers, Feet of Khorne, Blights of
Khorne.

Keeper of Secret titles:
Slayers of Slaanesh, Despoilers of the Flesh, Feasters of Pain, Great
Horned Ones, Base Ones.

Daemonette titles:
Children of Slaanesh, Debauched Ones, Bringers of Joyous Degradation,
Seekers of Decadence, Givers of Indescribable Delight.

Fiend titles:
Beasts of Slaanesh, Rams of Slaanesh, Beastials, Unholy Ones.

Mount of Slaanesh titles:
Flesh Lickers, Degraded Ones, Tongue Lashers of Slaanesh, Whips of
Slaanesh.

Great Unclean One titles:
Fly Masters, Plague Lords, Stench Lords, Father Nurgles.

Plaguebearer titles:
Tainted Ones, Maggotkin, Rotbearers, Nurgle's Tallymen.

Nurgling titles:
Pus Spores, Mites of Nurgle.

Beast of Nurgle titles:
Beasts, Slime Hounds, Nurgle's Lapdogs.

Lord of Change titles:
Watching Lords, Eyes of Tzeentch, Feathered Lords.

Horror titles:
Whirling Destroyers, Grumblers, Screamers, Spinning Sourguts,
Squealers, Whiners.

Flamer titles:
Burning Horrors, Fire Daemons of Tzeentch.

Disc of Tzeentch titles:
Sky-Sharks of Tzeentch

        Enjoy!

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"My mind is going... I can feel it." - 2001