Re: [Epic] Ordinati (was: house rules)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:19:56 -0500

Andy Skinner wrote:

> Slightly different topic, inspired by house rule to lessen power of a
> weapon:
> Is use of an Ordinatus automatically assumed to be cheesy by people
> here? The thing is in the rules, after all. I've got two (don't
> remember which kind), just because they looked cool, though I haven't
> put them together yet. (Not sure whether I want to paint them first or
> put them together first.) I've never seen the White Dwarf rules for
> them in 2nd edition, so I certainly wasn't motivated by the possibility
> of blowing my opponent off the board with one.

        I think some people's perception of the various
Ordinati is a holdover from 2nd edition, where they were
fairly disgusting (especially the missile one - Golgotha?).
In E40k, they look like they might be more balanced since
they've lost their disruption shield and are pretty easy
to suppress. OTOH, they're a cheap platform for the most
poweful SHWs (death ray, vortex, disrupt) and outrange
just about every non-artillery unit.

        Also, in the original fluff they were painted as
being either VERY rare or unique, so facing off against
them on a consistent basis may bother some folks, never
mind facing more than a single Ordinatus in the same army.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Don't you laugh, damn you, don't you laugh!" - Clockwork Orange