[Epic] Price Increase Petition-Please Read (fwd)

From: Magnus Alexandersson <m96maal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:12:53 +0100 (MET)

| Magnus "Cyclone" Alexandersson |
|Email: m96maal_at_... |
|Site: http://www.mtek.chalmers.se/~m96maal |
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 06:49:41
From: Doug Bambrick <bambrick_at_...>
To: war40k-L_at_...
Subject: Price Increase Petition-Please Read

Please read this right through. The purpose of this is to provoke a large
amount of mail. To take part in the petition, send me an e-mail message with
the subject:"GW Price Petition" to me(Doug Bambrick) at
bambrick_at_.... In the body, include any comments you may
have. Also, include the following phrase:

"As a player of one or more Games Workshop games, I hereby endorse the
message sent to you by Doug Bambrick about the proposed miniatures price
increase."

Please include any signatures, and your e-mail in the body of the message
also. Otherwise GW may think I just sent the same message hundreds of times.

I also ask that you spread the word about this message. I am sending this to
my friends, the Warhammer Mailing list, Blood Bowl Mailing List and the
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer newsgroup. Feel free to send it anyone else.
This especially includes a Warhammer 40,000 mailing list if there is one.

Following is the message to endorse, thanks for your support:

"WD 206 has only been released about 2 weeks ago here, so the price rise
shouldn't be coming for a while here(about 6 weeks by my reckoning).
However, one thing for certain:

"If the price goes up by that much, there is no way I will continue buying
GW miniatures. I don't care that I've just bought the Lizardman army book.

 "I don't care that I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on GW
minis(well, I would like to still have that money). I don't care that the
lizardman minis rule. If the price goes up by anything like that much, I
will have bought my last GW miniature, which also means the end of buying
other GW products.

"Heartbreaker Miniatures and Target Games have an excellent tabletop wargame
available: WarZone. Currently they have 1 rulebook at Australian $30. The
miniatures are cool, big and relatively cheap. The only problems are the
lack of plastic miniatures(although 40K doesn't have very many either, and
that is what the game most closely resembles) and the closeness of the
weapons to the body(making conversions more difficult, though the same
applies to some GW ranges). Also, the support magazine is free. Other
supplements for the game are forthcoming. I think that it's only a matter of
time before they start a fantasy style game, as WarZone is expanding.

"I do know several people who enjoy the game, but refuse to buy miniatures
because of their cost. I seriously doubt that I am the only gamer about to
join their ranks(The group I game with don't yet know the extent of the
price increase, and it is far more than we expected. Most of us were already
considering stopping buying miniatures with the current prices.)

"Games Workshop: There are alternatives out there. The price increase here
will bring the cost of a single blister to $20(That's Australian). The wage
I earn(only in summer holidays) is $6.27/hour. After tax, the blister pack
is half a days wages.

"Remember, the bulk of the gaming community are people either at high school
or university. This section of the community simply cannot afford that kind
of money. Many have other hobbies, girlfriends/boyfriends, lives etc...These
things all chew up money. If you are reading this, you are most likely on
the internet. You may get it from work, but a lot of people out there have a
hobby that they have to pay for there: internet access. Either that, or they
get it through uni.

"Games Workshop:
I put this to you. In increasing the already high price, you are cutting out
the section of the community which provides most of your income. The
successful businessmen, movie stars and other high income earners often
don't have the time or interest in your games. They are not your main
money-spinner. Also, other miniature companies will be considered by many
gamers.

Yours in gaming,
Doug Bambrick"

Collected responses will be posted to Games Workshop every few weeks.

"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education."
-Victor Hugo