Re: [Epic] Warhammer 40K

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:12:09 -0600

I was going to stay out of this, but I can't resist.

WH40K is ok, but not great or even good. It's biggest advantage is that you can
always find a game on the weekend. For that reason, I bought a decent bug army
at 1/2 price when a local game store closed. I started painting 3 TW's about 4
months ago; one day I'll finish.

WH40k seems to be a "shoot-out at the OK Corrale" game. Most players line up
their armies, then one side shots, then the other, then the other, then the
other, until turn 4 where everyone rushes to achieve their "mission". It has
seemed really stupid the 4 times I've played. One of them ended with the chaos
player winning because he rushed his chaos marines to a certain point in the
center of the table on the last move of the game, gaining extra vp. Never mind
that this point was 3 inches in front of 1 leman russ and 12 inches from a
second leman russ, out in the open. Because of the turn order, the Russ's never
got to fire at the marines.

People have told me that some players will try to fight tactical battles, but
the way the victory conditions and turn sequence works it is very difficult. The
rules need to be rewritten to match the movement/firing sequence of epic; one
side moves, the second side moves, the players alternate firing. The set game
length needs to be chucked as well.

Within these limitations it is a pleasant diversion, but nothing special.

Warzone was a more tactical game, but they messed up the point values on the
units too much, and made the evil armies absurdly undercosted/overpowered. The
vehicle rules sucked for it as well; for some reason they were afraid to make
armor impenetrable to small arms fire. I hope they re-release the rules for it
soon.

Thane