RE: [Epic] Chaos Land Raiders

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:39:51 -0400

> IMHO what is unbalancing with AT is the ability to pick the tgt - with no
> restriction like have to pick the closest "vehicle" target. Also the
> abiliity to kill a five man (or 3 bike/boar) stand with one shot
> is a little extreme.

Well, Epic turns are longer than 40K turns, so it isn't just one shot.
Instead of the chance of you hitting a target with this particular shot, it
is the chance of you reducing the effectiveness of this model or group of
models on a stand enough to not matter in Epic (whether gone or "absorbed"
into the effect of other stands).

> If the rules stated it could ignore only stands with more than one
> model on it then it could not snipe at cdrs and ork speedstas for example.

I can see a whole mob of those little buggies all lined up in front of
Elias's mobs of tanks. Not everything that is one model is worth taking out
with your AT shots. On the other hand, I've wondered about throwing the AT
dice (maybe use a different color) with the FP dice, and allocating in the
same way. Or even having AT dice (again, a different color) just be treated
as the die roll +1. But I'm more interested in saving the time it takes to
specify and remember what was being targeted, than in trying to reduce the
effectiveness of targeting.

> Likewise if an AT shot at a say 3 bike stand it should only have a 1 in 3
> chance to kill all 3.

I don't think that's what this scale is supposed to represent. As I said, I
don't think it is a single shot that kills 'em all. Regular FP has the same
effect. And would you start keeping track of how many were left per stand?
Fractional FP?

andy