Re: re:[Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: DAVID C LADO, DEPT OF NEUROSCIENCE <LADO_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:53:20 -0500 (EST)

>In my group we have always thought that the idea of the battle commander
>deciding where the strategically important areas are in a battle (and thus
>being able to unbalance objective placement as described above) is not
>very reasonable. Accordingly, we always determine on which board sections
>the objectives are to be placed randomly, or else just distribute them
>evenly across the board in areas that look like they deserve objectives.

>I imagine that this would make it considerably more difficult for you to
>make use of the tactic you describe (swarming up one side of the board
>with a horde of infantry.) Not that I think that swarms of cheap troops are

Certainly would, if you change the rules, you'll change the tactics.
Whatever tactics you use have to be appropriate for the house rules; this
would also apply to those groups that use different systems for placing
terrain. I developed these tactics based on the assumption (which
I shouldn't have made) that people were using the standard rules.
Personally, I don't mind either way, since for me, how the objectives and
terrain are layed out is just part of the game, and good strategies can
be found to fit any situation. I never had a problem with the standard
rules; since most games are "seek and destroy" missions, I always felt
that it was reasonable that commanders have a limited ability to "choose
their ground", and thus control the terrain/objectives. Plus, I think
players are generally happier if they feel they have more control over
what's happening (and enjoyment is the whole point). I also have to say
that I am very competetive when I play, and I am thinking about the tactics
I plan to use when I sit down to design the army, when I place objecctives
and terrain, as well as when I actually play. Some people don't do that,
they only think about strategy in as much as they deploy and move their
pieces. In these cases, I will conform my tactics to suit the
circumstances of that particular game/player. If I were, for
example, to design a fixed scenario, the objectives and terrain would
be preset.

David