Re: [Epic] Those Super Heavy weapons - long (winded)

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:37:46 +0100

Andy Meechan wrote:

> The case of the Death Ray Imperial Warmachine (I hesitate to use the
> words 'superheavy tank') was to show that it would be nullified by
> only one blast marker. As it was pointed out that the tank also has a
> 2FP secondary weapon, i'd just like to add that I was assuming the
> tank would be firing between the secondary weapon range (30cm?) and
> the Death Ray maximum range (45/60cm?).
>
> The point was that the SH weapon doesn't, I believe, get affected by
> blast markers to prevent silly situations like:
>
> Reaver w/3 Death Rays (bear with me here) and 3 blast markers
> cannot fire.
>
> reaver w/3 HWBatteries and 3 blast markers has it's FP reduced
> from 24 to 21 - no big deal.
>
> So why can 3 blast markers affect similar titans in such different
> ways? They can't - SH weapons are unaffected by blast markers.
>
> Another example would be a Land Raider and two Devastator stands which
> have 2 blast markers on them. The detachment would have a FP of 2 (4
> for the devastators -2 for the blast markers), how would you work out
> the Land Raider's firing? Do you allow the BMarkers to be 'absorbed'
> by the detachments FP? Do you penalise the SH weapons seperately (i.e.
> not allow it to fire)?
>
> I believe the LRaider cna fire no matter...
>
> So why am I banging on about this? Well, believe it or not, I need to
> know how the SH weapon is affected because of the potential for rules
> abuse - 11 Land Raiders can wipe out a Reaver in one firing phase, but
> the Titan cannot return the compliment - nor reduce the number of
> shots from the LRaiders under the rules! So please, if you can point
> to the place in the rules where it says SH weapons don't get
> penalised, please do - I can't find them (and don't believe the
> detachment's FP reduction covers them).

> -Andy-

I agree all of this needed answering. It was, by Jervis about a week
ago. See my later post for his full reply. In essence, 1 BM = 1
penalty, either 1 lost FP or 1 lost SHW shot. Solution - don't take a
titan armed with only death rays. Otherwise, the 11 land raiders get
too abusive - no matter how many BMs, they keep shooting!

Richard