Re: [Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 21:25:49 -0500

At 01:53 AM 5/14/97 +0200, you wrote:

>And it get's even worse if you have rampage units in there....
>I once lost about 8 units (rampager) due to a CC, in which two was
>involved and only two more suported....
>It felt really strange to remove the oner thet was some 30 cm from the CC
>and had no enemys in sight....

Something is wrong here. If only two stands were in hth, even if both were
rapaging units, then the most dice he could roll to inflict casualties was 4
(2 per model in base to base). I don't have the rules handy, but I thought
only models in base to base could be killed in hth. Either way, though, 4
dice is a max of 4 casualties.

**POTENTIALLY IMPORTANT RULES QUESTION**

This brings up another point, though. I am under the impression that after
the die roll is resolved, you roll to inflict casualties for each stand OF
YOURS in hth, rather than rolling to inflict casualties on each of your
opponents stands in contact.
For example, 2 Orks in contact with 1 marine stand: The orks lose by one,
both sides have to roll 4+ to inflict casualties. The Orks roll twice (2
stands in contact), the marine player rolls once. Even though the Orks fall
back, no more than one stand will be eliminated, while the marine stand will
probably die, even though they fought the Orks off. That's just the penalty
for being outnumbered 2 to 1. I think this makes sense. After all, if they
won by a sufficient amount (like 3 or 4), the marines would probably
survive. In a closely contested combat (only won by one point), being
outnumbered by 2 to 1 should be certain death, and even if you do drive off
the opposition (per this example) the unit will rarely be combat worthy
afterward (hence the stand is eliminated).

Another example: 4 beastmen vs 2 marines: This time the marines lose by
one. The marine player rolls one die per stand (2 dice), and the chaos
player rolls one die per stand (4 dice). On average the marines wil kill
one stand of beastmen, and the beastmen will eliminate the marines.
Outnumbered 2:1, and losing the combat should mean complete elimination.

If you roll for each OPPOSING model in contact then you actually are at a
penalty when you outnumber your opponent. Even if you win, so that you
inflict casualties on a 3+ and your opponent on a 5+, you will still take
equal casualties. heaven help you if you only win by 1, as you will take
double the casualties of yoru opponent. You also run into ridiculous
situations, like 2 bloodletters rolling 8 dice to inflict casualties (2
models*2 opponents*2 dice for rampage), which will most likely eliminate
their opponents even when they lose by a wide margin. Rampage is nasty
enough already, and it's only a point or two per stand.

Is this how everyone else is playing? I get the impression (like from the
example above) that most people are playing a sort of holdover from 2nd
edition where you roll to eliminate each of your opponents stands in hth.

Temp