Re: [Epic] Re:Trolls n Minotaurs

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 May 97 11:43:34 EDT

At 07:59 PM 5/18/97 -0700, Alan Brain wrote:
>Elias Tiliakos wrote:
>
>> Is it really necessary to give the Chaos army evem _more_ close
>> combat ability?
>
>Nope. Frankly, for the same cost you'd get a far more effective Daemon.
>This is just for us people who want to be able to use old figs.

Ok, that's understandable. I know _I_ would be pissed if I couldn't
use my old figs, but since all I really have is a couple boxes of
Tyranids, that really doesn't apply to me.

>I might add that for Imperial Guard (base cost 7 a unit) +Hero costs
>either +6 for a command stand or +5 for a commissar. Heck, you can
>expect a standard Imp Guard detachment to consist of 3 Hero Commanders
>each commanding 1 Hero Commissar and one Grunt.
>
>> I'm already having nightmares about entire daemon
>> detachments consisting of only greater daemons...
>
>Nah, cost too much, will get shot to pieces on the way in. For
>Nightmares, try a Daemon unit consisting of Cavalry....

(Rant ON)

I don't know, GD's have a 6 armor, plus a save. Ok, ok, yeah, there
are death rays and AT shots, but both Lords of Change _and_
Bloodthirsters have a 25cm move, and are both skimmers and infantry.
75cm charge, anyone? That's as good if not better than charging
Eldar Aspects, and on a one to one basis, the GD's will slaughter
the Aspects (and most everyone else, including the Tyranids).

I mean, compared to a Lord of Change, the Tyranid Hive tyrant costs
50 points, as opposed to 27, doesn't move as far, gets a whole
whopping 2 firepower (sarcasm), and has only a 6 assault factor.
I don't know how these two would face up in WH40K, but even still,
the Lord of Change (heck, GDs in general) are _extremely_ cheap
compared to other armies' "big boys". Ok, the GD's might get hurt
a little in a firefight. Yeah, right. Even if the opposing
force can bring 30 firepower to bear against the GD's, that's
hmm, let's see, 15 dice at 6+, so that's about what, 2-3 hits
on average? And then a save? ok, 1-2 dead GD's per firefight.
I wouldn't cry over one dead GD (well, if I was the poor shmuck
who was playing _against_ them, I would).

Oh well. Rant mode off. Sorry about that.

Elias