Re: [Epic]E40K Orks, Blood Axe Mob et al

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 02:02:57 -0700

Looking through the Orks in E40K...

First, the things that _I_ miss:

Madboyz

Dragstas

A LITTLE of the variety of battlewagons. Yes, I admit there were far too
many types, with little or no distinction between them. But amalgamating
all battlewagons into one type is going too far in the other direction.
Heck, we have a zillion different variants of Chimera, countless LeMan
Russ variants etc etc.

A _LITTLE_ of the Clan distinctions in Mobs. Yes, it was a pain in the
petunias. But it gave flavour.

The Orks support weapons are just plain wrong. The whole point about
Shokk Attack Guns for example in either WH40K or SM2 is that they are
NOT "artillery", they require Line of Sight! Same for Tractors etc.
which are far more like Anti-Tank than anything else.

So, herewith follows some of my ideas. Some I think are pretty good,
others less so, but the reader may differ. Some have appeared before.

1. Blitzwagons. These are Battlewagons with an FP of 2 and an AF of 1.
Cost 20 pts. This includes such types as Gobsmashas, Spleenrippers,
Braincrushas and Lungburstas, in fact, any Ork Battlewagon which doesn't
have a Close Combat weapon on the front, such as the skull'n'spikes, the
Deff Rolla etc.

2. BowelBurnas. These are Battlewagons with an FP of 3 and an AF of 1,
but a range of 15cm and Close Support capability. Cost 14. (The astute
will note that they are basically the same as Hellhounds, but 5cm faster
and 2 pts more expensive)

Blitzwagons and BowelBurnas may be used whenever Battlewagons are called
for.

3. Skorcha WarTracks. These are Battle Buggies with a range of 15, and
an AF of 2. (Basically, Assault capability). Cost 12

Skorchas may be used whenever Battle Buggies are called for.

4. Madboyz. As Orks, but D3 for their AF. (I know this is minimalist,
but it gives just enough flavour without needing new rules).

Madboyz may be used whenever Orks are called for. They may NOT be
upgraded in any way, and cost 9 pts.

5. Split "Big Gunz" into the following:

Shokk Attack Guns : Range 60cm, Disrupt, otherwise as per Big Gunz. Cost
14.
Tractor Cannon : Anti_tank (NOT artillery), otherwise as per Big Gunz.
Cost 14 (includes Crackers, Lifta-Droppers and other such heavy weapons)
Splat Guns - as current Big Gunz

The astute will note that the Imperial Support weapons are identical to
the Tractor Cannon, but cost 13 each rather than 14. But, as they say,
"It's not easy being green".

While we're on the subject, add Squigg Catapults to the Pulsa Rocket
category.

So far, no new rules..... now for one rather doubtful one.

6. Extra to give Mekboy Dragsta "Medic" ability. +10 pts

"Medic" means that any _one_ non-war-engine unit within 5cm gains the
"Save" ability. [ Any unit already with this ability gains an additional
save, as has been made clear in the FAQ re vehicle escapees etc].

(This leaves open the possibility of having Apothecaries, Painboyz,
Mekboyz, TechMarines under the same rules. The restriction to one unit
means it's less powerful than in 2nd ed, but as it was mostly used to
protect weirdboy towers, not _all_ that much less... Meanwhile, for
other units such as TechMarines, making 'Medic' only affect one unit
rather balances it compared with SM2).

Now onto the new Army List:

ORK BLOOD AXES

As per standard Ork Warband, with the following changes:

Warboss....40 pts.
Extra Cost to:
Mount on a Battlewagon +14 pts
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts
Mount in a Land Raider +35 pts

Up To One Weirdboy (as Ork Warband)

Choose up to 10 of:

Ork Boyz Mob
1-4 Ork Units 9pts each

Extra to:
Upgrade all units to Nobz(Hero)* +5 each
Upgrade to Shooty Boyz(Heavy Weapons)* +8 each
Upgrade to Skarboyz (Assault)* +2 each
Upgrade to Kommandos (Infiltrators)* +3 each
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts

Up to two Stormboyz Korps
1-4 Orks Units )JumpPacks, assault) 12pts each

Gretchin Mob
2-4 Gretchin 5pts each

Support - up to 10,no more choices than in Main Force

Battlewagons Mob 1-3 Battlewagons 14 pts each
Speed Freaks Mob 1-3 Buggies 11 pts each
Bikeboyz Mob 1-3 Bikeboyz 13 pts each
Big Gunz Mob 1-2 Big Gunz 14 pts each
Stompa 32 pts
Flakwagon 20 pts

Any Imperial Vehicle at appropriate points cost
Land Raider 35
Whirlwind 26
Razorback? 15
Predator 27
Vindicator 22
LeMann Russ? 32
Demolisher? 22
Chimera? 14
Hellhound? 12
Griffon? 19
Hydra? 28

Up to 1 Mercenaries Squad
1-6 Imperial Guard (Assault) 9 pts each

Up to 1 Imperial Guard Squad
2-6 Imperial Guard 7 pts each

Up to 1 Ogryn Unit 10 pts

SPECIAL RULES ??: Addition of a Blood Axe mob reduces strategy rating by
1 unless no Boyz Mobs are used.

Note that in WD 209, a New Pattern Blood Axe Land Raider is shown in
both E40K and WH40K, so Blood Axes are a-comin' sometime anyways.

In the above, ? means I have my doubts about this, and ?? means doubly
so.

All comments welcome, and I'd like this to be sent to GW.
--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture