Re: [Epic]E40K Orks, Blood Axe Mob et al

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 00:22:06 -0700

David Lado wrote:

> On a related topic, does you know if squiggoths and stompas can
> transport troops? That is, when the rules say that battlewagons can
> carry troops, do they mean the specific unit or the general class of
> vehicles. It makes sense to me that a stompa or squiggoth could
> carry a stand of troops (since their the same size as a battlewagon),
> but not a dreadnought.

Good question.
Stompa - probably not, as Gargants other than a Mega can't. Too much
shaking as they stomp around, I s'pose.
Squiggoth - I'd allow it as a house rule for an opponent! But I'd rather
get some more feedback from others before doing it myself.
Buggies - only towing artillery. In fact, since tow-by-wartrack is the
classic way of getting the Ork Artillery into action, this would make a
great house rule.

> The one unit a slot restriction is not very severe, since there is no
> restriction on blood-axe detachments (and it's easy to field enough
> boyz and runts to fill 10 slots).

True. But then look at the cost of the unit, each LR costs effectively
44 pts instead of 35, though you get a Boyz unit free.

> I don't think Imperial equipment should be as readily available as ork
> equipment, even to bloodaxes. It's not that landraiders are all that
> great, it's just that they give the orks so many things that are
> otherwise unavailable to them. Would you rather stick stompas in those
> spots, or for about the same price landraiders, which are the only
> tanks in your army that have AV 6 (except dragstas, which are limited
> to vehicle dets), transport 2, and anti-tank shots.

LandRaiders, no question! But surely this is because the LR is rather
grossly underpriced...

> >From the way the detachment was written out, I would assume that only
> the bloodaxe infantry detachments can be fielded in a pure
> Blood axe army? If so, the inablity to field KOS units (without
> getting that 2 strategy rating) is a good limitation. Would the ork
> player also take the strategy rating hit if he took Bloodaxes with
> war engines and flyers?

No (provided, of course, they're all painted in BloodAxe colours). You
might even allow Marauders as well as Fighta-Bommas.

> >I believe they exist.
>
> I don't think so. At least, I've never seen one.

I nearly picked up a set in a trade, but I've never seen one either.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture