Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:22:45 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 8-Jun-97 Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats --.. by Ken
Taborek_at_...
> If the gasbag rules are built into the critical hit table, it will not
> accuratly represent the old system of 1/3 of all hits doing no damage.

1/2, actually, and 2/3 of the rest were usually saved. That last 1/6,
though....

> Unless perhaps the Overlord always took a critical (like Eldar Titans),

Hmm, good idea.

> and say, a 2-6 roll on the critical chart read (something like): The shot
> hits the self-sealing gasbag and does no damage. Do not reduce the DF by
> one for this hit.

Alrighty, let's try this:

---cut here---

Squat Overlord
speed 10cm
armour 5 (but always takes critical)
damage capacity 4
assault 3 (does it matter?)
Weapons:
  2x HWBs, 8 FP at 45cm (combine the battlecannon & autocannon)
  heavy barrage, 0cm (target as before, around hex stand)

2-6 Gasbag hit +0 points shot hits self-sealing gasbag; do not
reduce DF *at all* for this hit.
7 Gasbag torn +0 points tear doesn't re-seal immediately;
damage taken as normal.
8 Weapons system hit +1 point random weapons system cannot be fired
until it is repaired.
9 Propulsion hit +2 points Overlord cannot move under power
until engines are repaired; counts as immobilized until repaired.
Optional rule: drift may come into play
10-12 Catastrophic damage see table below

Catastrophic damage:
1-3 Wrecked Internal explosions tear through the inner compartments,
kiling the crew and leaving the Overlord a floating wreck.
4-5 Destroyed Explosions tear through the Overlord, shredding the
gasbag. The Overlord drops from the sky like a rock, crashing into the
ground below. Roll a d6 to hit any units within 5 cm.
6 Destroyed Explosions rip the Overlord into shreds, scattering
shrapnel across the battlefield. Roll a d6 to hit any models within 3d6
cm. Optional: drift may come into effect.

Optional rule:
Drift: when not under power, the Overlord may drift with the wind. Roll
a d6 on the table below:
1 drift d6 cm towards the enemy line
2-3 drift d6 cm towards the left flank
4-5 drift d6 cm towards the right flank
6 drift d6 cm towards friendly lines

Overlords always roll on the critical damage table when their armour is
penetrated.

Overlords are always in the open. They can see the entire battlefield,
and can be seen by the entire battlefield, barring units with heavy
overhead cover, such as those in the middle of a forest. Non-flying
units firing on the Overlord must add 15cm to the range to target due to
the height of the Overlord above the battlefield. The Overlord cannot
be assaulted, but it may be engaged in a firefight by troops with 30+ cm
weapons. It may support both firefights and assaults as normal for War
Engines.

---cut here---

And there it is, barring a few comments. ^_^

1) I decided to take damage on a '7' since, with 2d6, you can't
represent 50% probabilities with contiguous results. I think it works
pretty well: the Overlord will survive a couple hits, but I don't think
it'll do any better than the original version. (Actually, I don't think
it'll survive *nearly* as long, since they're out in the open & are War
Engines... though the 15cm range will help in that respect.)

2) I decided to use an armour value of 5 because that's what most of the
shots heading at an Overlord were in Epic: 5+ shots. Since the armour
value in this case is the chance to roll on the critical table, I
figured that was a good value to use. Comments?

3) Drift. This was for the fun of it; as I stated above, it's optional.
 I considered doing something that would establish a wind direction and
strength, but decided not to worry about it in the Overlord rules.
Maybe later....

Please feel free to comment. ^_^

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...