Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats - Land Train proposal

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:43:13 -0500

>> unit Weapon fire arc range FP Notes
>> -------- ------ -------- ----- -- -----
>> Engine AT x 4 front 60 -
>> Battery 360 30 4
>> Hvy Barrage front 90 - Artillery
>> Mortar Mega Cannon front 25-75 - Artillery
>> Battery 360 30 1
>
>My only comment here is that I think the Doomsday cannon on the engine
>should be a mega-cannon and the mortar should be a heavy barrage.

 DUH! Yes that would make more sense. Particularly if you look at the
fluff art of the Engine in the Warlords book. With a bore like that, it
should be a LOT tougher than just a barrage.

>> The problem is that having the Berserker cars carry troops will
>>violate the War Engine Detachment rule on pg48 of the Rules book.
>>Which would lead to some very wierd effects when handling Blast Markers,
>>allocating hits and such.
>
>(BTW, the rule Greg is referring to is not on page 48, it's on page 41)

 Sheesh, maybe I should write clearer, at least so I can read my own
scribbled notes. Especially if I'm going to quote them... :(

>I actually like this. It makes the Land Train very unique, not just for
>WEs, but for squat WEs as well. It wouldn't create rules problems with
>the allocation of hits, but it would create odd situations where infantry
>was effectively screening a WE from enemy fire. However, IMO, this
>is a cool schtick for the Land Train and it would actually encourage
>people to field breserker cars. I do think the overall cost of the
>breserker cars should reflect the fact that they effectively give the
>LT extra void shields.
>
>The problem is that a special rule would have to be set up to cover the
>fact that WEs get their orders differently from other units. The rule
>would have to make the entire detatchment correspond to WE rules (always
>move in both phases, no overwatch ect), or make the WE obey the regular
>rules. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.
>
>What I would actually suggest is that the battle cars be normal vehicles,
>capable of moving about on their own. If they are "trained" with the
>engine they get the benifit of the engines void shield generator as well
>as adding +1 to the number of void shields, but suffer the ill effects of
>any criticals taken by the engine (as designated on the critical chart)
>
>So basically, you end up with a vehicle detachment with a WE command unit.
>There would be 2 special rules:
>
>1) the Engine uses normal orders like any other detachment (or the rest
> of the detachment uses WE orders)
>2) the effect of hooking the cars together.
>
>David

 The Leviathan has transport capacity, but cannot have troops of its own
so we could use that as the basis for the transport of the LT. However,
I like having the troopers as an integral part of the unit, but not so much
that I want to make the LT nearly invulnerable to normal fire, which a
troop screen largly would. Sheesh, you just can't eat your cake and have it
also.

 As to the vehicles being seperate, this would make the LT incredibly
vulnerable to barrages. One template could easily effect 5 vehicles,
much to their regret! "my 3 Cannon of Khorne target your LT, hmmm, that
will be 30FP..."

 Greg

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |