Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 13:34:43 -0700

Having had a look at what everybody has had to say re squats, I've come
to the following conclusions, and based on the following reasoning:

Reasoning/Assumptions:
a) That in 40K Squats won't change a great deal from the current version
when the Squat Codex comes out.
b) That 40K rather than SM2 is the "One True Way" that E40K must try to
approximate.
c) That an absolute minimum of special rules be added, hopefully none.
d) That some simplification is needed: As a guide, look at the Imperial
Super Heavy Tank.

1. Basic Squat Stats
Equal to an Ork Boy + Stubborn. The 40K Squat is a little better at HTH
combat than an Ork, but grossly inferior to an SM. (Correct me if I'm
wrong). In all other ways, an Ork is a reasonable approximation. Yes,
this is a change, I had them being given Rapid Fire (mainly cos of the
additional Hvy Weapons and Squat Engineer stuff).

2. Thunderers
Heavy Weapons. That's all.

3. SHVs
Keep them as Leviathan variants. For one thing, that's what they are. I
know a lot of people would like to see special rules, but the concept
of:

Leviathan = Chassis + Transport(8) + MegaCannon
Cyclops = Chassis + Hvy Barrage + Death Ray
Colossus = Chassis + Hvy Barrage + MegaCannon + Artillery

seems to me to be both accurate and simple. As well as providing a fair
variety of weapons choices.

4. Fliers
This is a mess. But after seeing the pros and cons written by various
people, the Rocket-Propelled Zeppelin, ie Flier Overlord, is looking
better and better to me. Just from a Game Balance perspective. The
Gyrocopter may or may not be counted as a flier as well, but the complex
rules re Gasbags that have been proposed seem to be worse even
than the SM2 rules. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Probably the best idea is that we do this as a 3-step process:
1. Agree on the Organisation (that's the easy bit)
2. Agree on the stats of the individual units
3. Agree on the cost.

Finally, remember that the good is the enemy of the best. There's a lot
of Squat players out there who want a Canonical set of Squat rules for
E40K. An OK set that's simple and produced quickly is better than the
Perfect Rule-For-All-Occassions one that takes 3 years of bickering to
get absoultely right.

OK, people?

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture