Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

>> Personally, I don't like the idea of mega cannons having artillery ability.
>> They are tough enough as it is. If you want to fire indirect, then take a
>> hvy barrage. Sure you are going to lose some suppression, but I think this
>> is reasonable. Barrages were designed to reflect indirect fire, and hvy
>> barrage each turn is not horribly less effective than a mega-cannon.
>
>Er... I beg to differ. MegaCannons with Artillery and a huge range
>should cost the earth, because they are grossly more effective! Not at
>killing things, but at causing Blast Markers.

I like the idea of Goliaths being mega-cannons acting as artillery. It
fits better (IMO) with how they worked in SM/TL (long range, tank-busting,
terrain-ignoring, building-smashing super guns). No matter how they are
handled (MC or seige artillery or heavy artillery), their price should
reflect their ability.

I definitely agree that they should be very, very, expensive. As
shown above, even a small number can supress a detachment, they don't
need LOS, and they can prep-fire (owwwww!). When I think about, I
have to say they should either be down graded to siege artillery
(which I don't really like) or they should cost on the order of 100pts
each.

It might also be neat to create a special carrier vehicle for goliaths,
perhaps using the old termite or mole carriers (or a deathstrike
carrier). You could say that they cannot fire on any turn they are
towed. Of course, that's another special rule, but it's better than
the Goliaths trundling around under their own power. Alternately, you
could just use the carrier for show and not bother with any special
rules :).

David