Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:36:39 -0500

duckrvr_at_... wrote:
> In assault, move in to cc with the one closest to where you want to be. 3
> jet bikes will hardly stand up to a titan in cc (or in a firefight, for that
> matter). They will have to cut and run, leaving you unopposed in your next
> move. Not only that, you will destroy at least one, and place additional
> BMs (1 or 2). That way they only slow you temporarily, which seems reasonable.
OK, that makes sense. I think I shot them up real bad next turn,
but you're right, I wouldn't have lost anything to have done close
combat that turn, and I could have moved next turn. (I ended up
moving in the assault phase next turn, after the bikes were shot up.)
Thanks, you're right, I could have made them go away and only lost
movement for one turn.

> You are missing the fact that if you are within 10 cm, there will be a
> firefight, and the bikes will run (unles you lose). Since you have 12 fp
> against their 6, you will get +2, so it's possible, but unlikely. In hth,
> it would be AV8 vs 1+2 support, which is better odds, but not enough to give
> you another +1. If you do lose, you won't run, and there may be another
> round of cc/ff in the latter part of the phase. If you lose both (or you
> moved 2nd in assault) then you wil lose one more half turn of movement. I
> guess that's what you get for shooting badly.
Oh, yeah. Firefights. I keep forgetting them. Actually, I feel
like I'm forgetting a lot about this game, that I'm always missing
something. I think it is because there are important parts scattered
through the three books. I wonder if all those predators and Land
Raiders (or at least some of them) were in 15 cm.

But it does look like they can stop the Titan for a whole turn,
rather than just the movement phase. Still, better than what I saw
in the game. I could have moved closer for the assault, and then
gone on in movement phase next time.

thanks,
andy