Re: [Epic] Rebel against the new stands ?

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:55:00 -0600

 ----------
From: Simon Dodds
To: space-marine_at_...; space-marine@...
Subject: Re: [Epic] Rebel against the new stands ? Not me.
Date: Wednesday, January 08, 1997 9:12PM

>Why people balk at the cost of GW games is beyond me, yet no one is
>bothered by paying $40+ for some computer software. (How many people out
>there have all the Warcraft and Command & Conquer and Doom/Quake/Duke3D
>titles?)

 ----> Let's see, I have the computer and it's expensive, but a game is
just one thing I can use on it, and when I do I don't need to buy
anything else to make it work.
        I buy "Warsmacker Nth edition" from GW and (US$ at least) I spend $70
for a big box with about 3 small booklets and 60 or so "grunt" plastic
minis. To get ALL the rules, I have to buy a $40 boxed set expansion
(e.g. Dark Millenium, Battle Magic,etc.) then I'm going to have to buy
an army book (at least that looks like the trend right now) for $25-$30
for ONE army (remember the box comes with at least two, so if I want to
play both of them we're talking two books) so I have spent at least
$130.00 JUST FOR RULES. If I actually want to build a "complete" army
(say 3000 points in most of their games) I'm going to need 20 blisters
(assuming it's an points-intensive army with fewer units or I play one
from the box) at $6.00 each minimum so there's an additional $120.00
JUST TO HAVE ONE ARMY TO USE THOSE RULES YOU JUST BOUGHT.
        So to have a playable game you have to spend $250.00 minimum. Compared
to computer games the patches (which are free to download from the
manufacturers in most cases) turn into "Rules Supplements" which can be
wildly priced and, where software is available all over , most GW games
are only available at a very few specialty stores so there is little to
no price competition. Yeah, I have Warcraft I, II, and the expansion,
and I paid a total $45 for all 3 because I bought them ON SALE - a term
rarely applied to GW stuff.
        So it is different, it is more expensive, and it is a serious pain when
the rules change - if ONLY the rules changed, one component of my
existing system is till useable, but when the MINIS also change /are
rendered obsolete by basing , etc. then BOTH components have to be
replaced -doubling my expense-and that is the biggest beef I have.
                                        Sorry about the length...
                                                ***Chris Miller