[Epic] [E40k] Firefights and Line of Sight

From: James Flowers <jflowers_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:51:54 +1200

Hi All!

Here's an interesting one, IMO.

SITUATION: 2 Tyranids (zero Firepower) against 4 Space Marines (4
Firepower) within Firefight range (15cm) but with a hill between them
(nobody actually on the terrain piece).

RESULT: The Tyranids got caned, even allowing for our House Rule of
minimum Firepower value of 1 for each side involved in a Firefight
(otherwise the math gives up the ghost - but that's another story).

According to the rules, terrain doesn't play a part in Firefights. And
probably correct for a lot of Firefight situations, but IMO not in the
above example. (BTW, I was merely a spectator in the above - interesting
'debate' between the players involved. <g>)

IMO, terrain should be a consideration for Firefights, as it does in
Shooting. Saying that "the marines crawled to the crest of the hill, spat
molten death down on the tyranid scum, then crawled back to their
original positions" is just stretching credibility a bit too far me
thinks...sounds good though. <g>

I agree that E40K is supposed to have an abstract element, and also
common sense should be applied as well in some situations. But this
strikes me as an oversight in the rules.

Thoughts? Opinions? Allcomers welcomed...

Kind regards, JAMES FLOWERS