RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: Tau units/stats

From: <nils.saugen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:21:57 +0200

Hi Peter,

I've taken the liberty of adding some suggestions to the stats of the units
aswell.
The units are as follows:

TAU ETHERALs
The Etherals are the ruling caste of the TAU society. They command the utter
devotion, loyalty and sacrifice of the TAU.

Powers: All TAU (Not Kroot) units within 10cm of the TAU Etheral is
completely immune to all types of moraletests, and never recieve fallback
orders. All other TAU units within LOS may add +1 to their moral rolls.
However, if the TAU etheral is killed all TAU units within LOS must make an
immidiate morale check or go on fallback orders.

TAU FIRE WARRIORS:
These are the TAU core army trooper. They have the same strenght and
endurance as a IG Grunt. However their lack of depth vision and slow
reflexes makes them poorer close combat troops. The TAU prefer to keep their
enemy at an arms lenght , relying on their superior firepower to do the job.
(Minis: UNSC power armour infantry from GZG)

Suggested stats:
MV: 10cm AS: 6+ CAF: -1 WPN: Pulse Rifle RANGE: 50 cm TO HIT: 4+ AS: 0
Moral: 3

TAU PATHFINDERS:
These troops are the eyes and ears of the TAU army. They move onto the
battlefield in front of the main army.(Always use transports???? In 40K at
least) They are armed with Pulse Carbines/marklights. The pathfinder can
chose to either fire at an enemy unit or to use the marklight. If they use
the marklight chose a traget and fire as normal. If you score a hit place an
order marker (upside down) beside that unit. For the remainder of that turn,
any other TAU (Not Kroot)unit fireing at the marked enemy unit may add +1 to
their to hit roll.
(Suggested minis Eldar or IG infantry (Not Valhallans!!!! or UNSC infanty
from GZG)
Suggested stats:
MV: 10cm AS: 0 CAF: -1 WPN: Pulse Carbine/Marklight RANGE: 35 cm TO HIT: 4+
AS: 0 Moral: 3
Infiltrate.

XV8 Chrisis Battlesuit:
The TAU Commanders and the best Fire Warriors use this battlesuits in
combat. The suit is the TAU equivalent of the Tactical Dreadnought Armour.
The battlesuit is equippet wit several weapon systems and Jump packs. The
TAU Jump packs are more advanced than their imperial counterparts. (Inner
Sphere/Grey Death Legion battlearmour by FASA, if they are obtainable
anymore)

Suggested stats:
MV: 20cm AS: 5+* CAF: +2 WPN: Plasma Rifle/Burst Cannon RANGE: 50 cm/35cm
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 1/3 TO HIT: 4+/5+ AS: -2/0 Moral: 3
Jumppacks, Armour midifiable to 6+ but not further.

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
These are the heavy support units of the TAU army, the Broadside is equippet
with a pair of very powerfull Rail Guns and a smart missile rack. (Inner
sphere/Grey Death Legion battlearmour from FASA)

Suggested stats:
MV: 10cm AS: 5+* CAF: +1 WPN: Rail Gun/Smart Missiles RANGE: 75 cm/25cm
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 2/1 TO HIT: 4+/5+ AS: -3/0
Special: Rail Gun may add +2 to targets with templates, Smart missiles NO
LOS NEEDED!!!! (Effective range might be longer than 25 cm, but the TAU
player is only allowed to target units within 25cm. All other rules for fire
combat applies)
Moral: 3
Armour modifiable to 6+ but not further.

XV15 Stealth Battlesuit.
These troopers are regarded as loners and excentrics by the TAU. The operate
in small squads behind the enemy line. (GZG has an excellent miniature for
this unit, but I have only seen pictures of it, I can send them if
nessecary)

Suggested stats:
MV: 15cm AS: 5+* CAF: +3 WPN: Burst Cannon RANGE: 35cm NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 3
TO HIT: 5+ AS: -0 Moral: 2
Armour midifiable to 6+ but not further, Infiltrate, may not be targeted by
enemies that is more than 25 cm away. Cover value is 1 better than normal.

Devilfish
This is the workhorse of the TAU army
Suggested stats:
MV: 20cm AS: 4+ CAF: +1 WPN: Burst Cannon RANGE: 35cm NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 3
TO HIT: 5+ AS: -0 Moral: 3
Skimmer, may carry 2 stands.

Hammerhead
This is the TAU MBT. Built on the sucsessfull Devilfish Consept exchanging
the cearrying capacity for more heavy Armour/weaponry. (Eldar lookalike
heavy skimmer tank from GZG, again have the picture but not the name Usable
for both Devilfish and Hammerhead)
Suggested stats:
MV: 20cm AS: 3+ CAF: +2 WPN: Ion Cannon RANGE: 75cm NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 2 TO
HIT: 5+ AS: -2 Moral: 3
Skimmer.

The Mantis Cruiser:
These are actually Space ships, may times the size of a Thunderhawk. It is
armed with extremely long range Rail Gun Artillery (Common stats with the
Eldar pulse lasers) and use ion Cannon batteries (Se hammerhead) for medium
range attacks. It is a pretorian size skimmer/flyer. (Use any slick looking
spacecraft of medium to large size, i.e. from BABYLON 5) And carries a full
company of TAU in transport vehicles or with jump packs.

SHIELD and GUN DRONES:
Support units of the Tau Army, could be used as upgrades for the TAU
infantry units. (Gun drones equipped with a pair of Pulse Carbines)

However, the 40k Drone model, could be used as NetEpic TAU drone Ships, sort
of mobile gun or shield platforms?

THE KROOT
All KROOT are besically different evolutions of the same species, some (THE
KROOT WARRIORS) are more sucess full than others (KROTOX and KROOT HOUNDS).
The kroot have the special ability of selective mutation. Basically they eat
their enemies and assimilate the part of the enemies DNA that will make them
evolve faster. Wich part they should assimilate is defined by the KROOT
Shapers (Elders). Strange barbaric and terrefying opponents. All Kroot may
adde 1d6 to their close combat when fighting in woods. (Minis: Kra'Vak
infantry from GZG)

SHAPERS
Suggested stats:
MV: 10cm AS: 6 CAF: +4 WPN: KROOT Rifle RANGE: 50cm NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 1 TO
HIT: 5+ AS: 0
Infiltrate, rolls 3d6 in CC in woods.
KROOT WARRIORS
Suggested stats:
MV: 10cm AS: 0 CAF: +2 WPN: KROOT Rifle RANGE: 50cm NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 1 TO
HIT: 5+ AS: 0 Moral: 4
Infiltrate, rolls 3d6 in CC in woods. Unless there is a Shaper within 10 cm
the KROOT will do nothing except defend in CC (and eat the fallen enemies)
the round after they have won a CC.
KROOTHOUNDS
MV: 20cm AS: 0 CAF: +4.
Infiltrate, rolls 3d6 in CC in woods.
KROOTOX (These are large Gorilla like Kroot used to haul heavier weapons
into battle by the KROOT)
MV: 10cm AS: 5+ CAF: +3 WPN: KROOT Heavy Rifle RANGE: 75cm NUMBER OF
ATTACKS: 1 TO HIT: 5+ AS: -1 Moral: 4
Infiltrate, rolls 3d6 in CC in woods.

I suggest that the Kroot be organised in the same manner as the Orks, with
Shapers filling the role of the Ork Nobz, and Kroothouns/Krootox detachments
bolstering the breakpoint/victorypoint of the KRoot Warrior horde.

Nils