Re: [NetEpic ML]

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:42:29 +1000

At 07:43 PM 5/18/00 -0400, you wrote:

> I have some orc questions

Woo-hoo! Ork questions! Woo-hoo! (LOOOOOONG message follows)

> 1. I am a little confused about the orc clanj organization. i under stand
> that if I have a goff clan and as a support card I purchase more boyz they
> get added to the clan boyz and become a single detachmnet, thus increasing
> the break point and victory points for the clan. If I then add a stompa mod
> do they become their own detachment with their own break points and victory
> points subject to their own orders or do they all so join the boyz mob and
> add to the break point of the entire clan. If the clan breaks does every
> detachment break.

Roight! Here's how it works: Most Ork support cards may act as seperate
detachments but their VPs and Break Point values as listed on the card add to
the total break Point of the Clan they fielded with. There are very few Ork
detachments with their own Break Points (most of them are Special Cards). Once
the Clan breaks, all the detachments under that Clan break with it and as a
result, they must all check morale when this happens. This means it takes a
LOT to break the Orks, but when someone does, its big trouble for the Orks and
a big chunk of VPs for the opposing player.

In your example, the Boyz that were bought for the Goff do indeed join the main
Boyz formation as well as adding with BP and VP to the whole Clan. The
Stomperz may act as a seperate detachment but still add their BP and VP to the
whole Clan. Thus when the Clan breaks, the Stomperz break, even if they have
taken NO casualties. The way that the card behaves is listed on the actual
card. Things like Boyz, Nobz and Battlewagonz join their equivalent formation
(Boyz join the Boyz Mob, Nobz join the Nobz Mob and Battlewagonz join whatever
mob they are carrying, either Nobz or Boyz). Just about everything else forms
its own formation but is still connected to the Clan's Break Point.

> 2. nobz seem to function as command units for orcs do they become a
> detachment and are they subject to unit consistance or can they spread out to
> maximize their effectivenes to a reall large mob?

They are a DETACHMENT!!! They cannot split up and have one stand here and one
stand there. All Nobz that are part of the same Mob MUST maintain unit
coherency!!!

This may seem like a disadvantage at first, but on closer inspection of the Ork
Command Rule, you'll notice that Ork DETACHMENTS need to stay within 10cm of a
Nob unit. Thus, if only ONE stand or vehicles from the Detachment is within
10cm of at least ONE Nobz unit, then the detachment is in command. It is
possible to have an Ork army that isn't really bunched up if you deploy around
your Nobz properly. But for Orks more than most armies, their command units
are really, really important.

> any long answers with tactic and explanations of how orcs are played would be
> greatly appreciated

<Tactical Rant Mode ON>

Ork are a shock army. They outnumber their opponent (usually) and are very
tough to break. With this in mind, Ork players should construct their Clans to
get the BIGGEST break points they can for their Clans. The harder the Clans
are to break, the longer your troops will stay around to fight. This is
ESPECIALLY important for the Kult of Speed as this Clan takes the most damage
of all the Orks during games.

On the field, Orks need to move as quickly as possible to swamp objectives and
anyone who is occupying them. Pick the Objectives you want to take and set
your Clans up to take them. Then try to steamroller your enemy with sheer
weight of numbers. With orders, Charge and First Fire are your friends. Orks
that mill around on Advance orders tend to die. Either Charge your enemy or
shoot the crap out of them.

Onto the Clans and more specific units:

Bad Moonz: My favourite clan. They are just so shooty. Sure they only have
50cm range but thats nothing that a turn of charging won't fix. I prefer to
put my faith in shooting in NetEpic. If you lose in Close Combat, you die; if
you lose when shooting, you miss. I know which I prefer. They are best used
defending your Objetives or providing Fire Support to you other Clans as they
advance. Plus Bad Moonz get those lovely Weirdboy Towers. If you take
Weirdboyz, load them up. Put as much around them as you can cause these jokers
are only really effective in the danger zone for power. Then they ROCK. I've
killed Titans with them but protect them! This is where you need a Dragsta for
them. Bad Moonz benefit most from the following support cards: Weirdboy
Towers, Brainchrushaz, more Boyz, Shokk Attack Gunz, Pulsa Rokkitz and
Dreadnoughtz.

[NOTE:- People fob off the Ork Dreads, but they really are great. Look at the
stats. For 100pts you get 4 Boyz stands that have the stats of their Clan.
These usually aren't great. Usually move 10cm, no save, +1 CAF and shoot once
at 50cm hitting on 5+ with no mods. Now look at Dreads: 10 cm move, 5+
save, +3
CAF, and TWO shots at 50cm hitting on 5+ with no mods. You still get 4 for 100
points. Which is better? Its obvious! Its just a shame that everyone except
Bad Moonz can only have 1 card per Clan (Bad Moonz get 2 cause they are rich).]

Deathskullz: These guys get anything they want. You want Land Raiders but
don't want to field Blood Axes? Take Deathskullz! Plus the Deathskullz can
get the Deathskull Shootaz which are very cool. Sure they can blow themselves
up but that the hell? Most Orks do! When playing Deathskullz, send them
against lightly held objective and either shoot or chrage with superior
numbers. They are also great for defending remote objectives. When you buy
support for the Deathskulls, simply use their slots to buy things you normally
couldn't get, Like Land Raiders, BoarBoyz, Shootaz, Evil Sunz or Goff tanks and
the like.

Goffs: Sure they look great on paper, but I have nothing but bad luck with
these guys. I admit they are great assault troops, but as I have already said,
I prefer to shoot my enemy to death than beat him up. But the Goffs ARE good
at taking enemy objectives. Goff tanks are OK, but not great. I can get
better tanks for my points, but if you have them, then the Gutrippa is the best
Goff tank to field. The Lungbursta sucks. Goffs benefit from plenty of
transport so Battlewagonz and Battlefortresses are great for them. Plus the
more Boyz for the Goff the better. They need to swamp the enemy. Oh and don't
forget their guns. I have shocked my enemy by First Firing the Goffs rather
than charge and shot the hell out of him. Its a neat tactic.

Snakebitez: Love 'em. They are bedtter than the Goffz as they lose one point
of Caf, but get better range out of their gunz. Plus they get the BoarBoyz,
who are terrific. Use these guys to swamp objectives (placing the BoarBoyz
where you need them most) or to hold Objectives where they can soot the enemy
before using their better them average CAF to defend well. Plus the Boarz can
counter charge and support the area that needs them most. They benefit from
more Boyz and more Boarz. Oh, the Squig Catapults and Squiggoths are funny,
but mostly useless. Take them for comedy value.

Evil Sunz: Love 'em. If I decide not to take Snakebitez, I take Evil Sunz.
They get Transports already so are perfect for hitting enemy-held objectives.
Use them for this. And don't be afraid of staying in the wagonz for an extra
turn by using Cover to avoid being shot. One more turn is worth the extra turn
of risk. Evil Sunz tanks are excellent. I love the Spleenrippa, BowelBurna
and Gobsmasha as one is real shooty and the other two are great for increasing
the Clan Break Point. Plus the best thing the Evil Sunz can get are Nobz
Warbikes. These guys ROCK. Charge and First Fire? Cool! Use them wherever
you can. Evil Sunz need lots of fast stuff, so should have Evil Sunz tanks,
more Battlewagonz (to confuse the enemy), Warbikez, Nobs Warbikez, Warbuggiez,
Battlefortresses and Mekboy Speedstaz/Dragstaz.

Blood Axez: These guys are O.K. They get transports with them, so that's
cool. They can take Land Raiders and Commandoes, which is cool. But in the
end I'd rather have a different Clan. There's nothing they can do that I can't
do with the Evil Sunz or Deathskullz. Unless you need the extra Clan, leave
them at home grovelling to the 'Oomies like they should. If you HAVE to take
them, use them take enemy objectives as they are very mobile.

Kult of Speed: Excellent. These guys will do most of your deep-strike attacks
to take objectives or to silence annoying Artillery. They are good in CC and
are fast. BOOST THEIR BREAK POINT TO THE MAXIMUM!!!!! I can't stress this
enough. These guys wil take so many casualties its not funny. So they need
more Buggies, more Nobz Warbikez, Gobsmashaz, BowelBurnaz, Wartrakz and
Warbikez.

Other Stuff: Warbosses are good as they provide extra command units to command
the boyz that are mobile. The Warlord + Stomperz is excellent as you get a
good commander, his retinue + transports AND the Stomperz. Cool.

Stomperz are great fun. They are tough, shooty, thumpy and attract a lot of
fire as people seem to want to prove they can kill them. If your Stopmerz
attract a lot of fire, great. They can take it and it means that people aren't
shooting at your Boyz.

Battlefortresses make good mobile firebasses as they don't need a Nob to
command them. I like the Skullhamma as it has the 75cm guns.

Stormboyz and Freebootaz are perfect for taking remote objectives. Put them in
a Battlefortress and wizz them off to a remote objective and hold it. That's
an extra 5VPs you wouldn't have otherwise had.

The Mekboy stuff is often very, very good. The Speedstaz are excellent. I
love the Rokkit Speedsta (it never blows up), the Bubble Chukka (its funny to
stop a Warlord from firing that Volcano Cannon) and the Lifta Droppa (what
Superheavy?). The Cannon Speedsta isn't that great. The Dragstaz are
essential for keeping your Boyz and vital units save. Put some Stomperz under
them and watch the frustration on your opponent's face.

Shokk Attak Gunz are superb. Shoot them into First-Firing infantry formations
to lessen the number of shots you will take that turn. Nothing more annoying
than losing 2 or 3 stands of Devastator fire when there's a Clan of Snakebites
charging across the table toward you. Only shoot them at Tanks and
Superheavies if nothing else presents itself.

The Doom Diver Cannon and Flakwagons are now essential for Orks as our
Fighta-Bommerz aren't great. So use them where you can. As to the Fighta
Bommerz, use them for Ground Attacks more than anything else. But as the
Fighta Bommerz aren't great Thrusters, you need a couple of detachments of them
if you use them.

Pulsa Rokkits can deny an area of table and disrupt the enemy formations so use
them against armies that like to sit still (like Squats). Traktor Cannons are
excellent if you are facing enemy armour. Enemy tanks and Titan avoid these
things like the plague as the chance of squishing is small, but you can
immobilse them easily.

Hop-Splats are silly. I take them every now and then for some variety but they
have little tactical value.

Madboys: Love them. They are free and people tend to shoot at them just to
see what they will do. I put them on a flank and keep them there. If they do
something useful, fine. If not, no harm done. I once took a 40-strong
detachemtn of them. They all did a Weirdboy chant on their second roll and
blew up-taking a sizeable portion of the Eldar army I was facing with them!
Funny!

And last but not least: Gargants! Great Gargants are the cream of the Ork
army. They take HEAPS of punishment and can dish out a great deal of their
own. They have excellent fire arcs, excellent weapons and look cool to boot
(the old tin-cans, not he crappy Epic 40K ones). Use them support the advance
of your Clans. I NEVER go into battle without at least one Great Gargant.

Slashaz are a good alternative, but they blow up much more easily than a Great
Gargant. Mekboys have the very funny Kustom Force Field which people will shot
the hell out of just to prove they can penetrate it. Let them! I use Mekboy
Gargants as fire-magnets. Sure it might do some damage but if its taking fire,
that more protection for my boys elsewhere.

Mega-Gargants. Look impressive, actually suck. Their only real use is as a
fire magnet but they too expensive for that. With our recent improvement to
the Gun Decks they may be worthwhile again, but I just don't like 'em.

Tactics:

On the field I tend to form a fire-base with my Bad Moonz around a Weirdboy
Tower (and its attendant Dragsta) and other shooty things like Shokk Attakz,
Spleenrippaz, Deathskull Shootaz, Braincrushaz and Skullhammaz and a Gargant.
This I use to shoot the hell out of the enemy and provide support for the
advancing units of my army.

My advancing units are usually Deathskullz, Evil Sunz or Snakebitez. I'll pick
3 or 4 objectives I want to take and then send the Advancing Clans after them.
I'll support them with Dreadnoughts and short-ranged tanks.

My Kult of Speed I aim at enemy Artillery and try to take it down. If there is
very little Artillery I'll take out expensive targets that have low CAF like
Leman Russes, Shadowswords, Baneblades, Tempests and the like. If there are
few of THOSE then the Kult ends up taking deep objectives.

My Freebootaz, Warboss/Warlord and Stormboyz are usually used to secure
lightly-held enemy objectives. The Freebootaz and Stormboyz are alos good for
holding distant objectives in my half of the table. The Warboss/Warlord will
also zoom around and either provide extra command or firepower.

<Tactical Rant Mode OFF>

Whew! Thats about all I can think of right now. If you want to know more
specifics about the Orks, just drop me a line.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."