[Epic] Barrage and Heavy Barrage and blast markers

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:44:42 -0500

Hi.

My game with Elias on Saturday was fun. I won't go into too much
detail here, since I've given him the honor of writing the report. :-)

But here are a couple of things:

Overwatch is a good thing, for the Overwatcher, not the Overwatchee.

I thought it would be fun to give a Knight/Titan army a try. I used
the Citadel Journal rules. I had Elias more worried than he needed
to be, since I didn't look too hard when I gave him a net reference
for Knight stats that seemed to have them considerably tougher stats
than CJ gave 'em. :-) I had:
* Warlord Titan with Heavy Barrage, Death Ray, MegaCannon, H. Weapons.
* 2 Warhound Titans
* Detachment of Command Knight, 3 Knights, 2 Castellans, 5 Sentinels
* Detachment of Command Knight, 3 Knights, 4 Castellans

I know various super-heavy weapons have been addressed, concerning
how they are affected by Blast Markers. I know Megacannons are
nullified by a single "un-soaked" blast marker, for example. I
had assumed that the heavy barrage on my titan would be a help in
soaking blast markers, because of its firepower. But because it has
1 FP in firefights, and because the Q&A says "Each blast marker stops
one super-heavy weapon from firing," Elias convinced me that a barrage
is not a special case for this. (I have to say that he offered to let
me treat it that way, however. But because I agreed that he had the
stronger case, I didn't.) Is it agreed that a barrage soaks a single
blast marker, not figuring FP first? The result of this was that
the weapons battery could not reach the target on its side of the titan
(left arm) so couldn't soak FP. I had 5 blast markers, so the titan
did nothing but place a blast marker for the heavy barrage, and maybe
one for the megacannon. (Was that it, Elias?)

As it turns out, this wasn't that big a problem. The majority of
the good things I did were from overwatch firing.

I still wish the left and right arm arcs were rotated towards the
front 45 degrees. In other words, instead of the right arm covering
180 degress from directly ahead to directly behind, I wish it covered
45 degrees to left of front (overlapping front arc) through 45 degrees
right of back, and similarly but mirrored for left. This would produce
an overlapped area in the front 90 degrees, but would also leave a 90
area in which the Titan could not fire towards its back, and still
covers 180 degrees total.

andy

--
Andy Skinner