[Epic] New to list . . . want some opinions.

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:34:59 -0700

Hello.

I was a master of old EPIC, and loved that game over all others.
Unfortunately, the nine months of no EPIC support from GW killed most of
the newer players ( say about six of them) and the new rules turned off
the veterans ( say about nine of them) in our gaming group. I've found a
few other players who have used the new system, but they have been
pretty non enthusiastic and Epic is really about dead in Albuquerque.

So I'm looking for some reasons for people to play the new system, or at
least some rules commentary which may shed some light on why our games
have not seemed as fun:

1) Close Combat and firefights -We've seen way too many instances of
where a detat of 20 assault stands has attacked a detat of 8 -10
tactical stands, and the tactical stands have won.

2) We've seen 5 stands of orks boyz run up to a 30 strong detat of
marines for a firefight at extreme range with a couple of troops,
putting the whole detat to flight, and thus preventing stands, who were
nowhere near the firefight but were stuck in the same detat, from making
ork patte.

3)We've seen many games come down to who pulled the initiative chit for
the assault phase; the guy who won initiative crushed the guy who
didn't, even when the forces seemed equal.

4) Antitank weapons - seem absurdly powerfull. I have yet to see anyone
stand up to my landraider Detats; they usually kill 2-3 times their
point value. Frankly, I don't enjoy doing it.

5) Imposible to defend against flyers; We've found that keeping one
artillery detat on your edge of the board allows you to bring on flyers
over top of them so that any interceptors take absurd amounts of snap
shots.

6) On the matter of snap shots, we've seen two stands of troops prevent
the movement of a twelve land raider detat (pinned up against cliffs);
he tried to move 5 of them, losing 4, then gave up. Doesn't this seem a
little un-fun and ridiculous? Shouldn't their be a limit on the number
of snap shots a detat can pull?

7) We've also seen titans unable to move because of three leftover
stands from a previous close combat/ firefight sequence.

Has anyone else run into this kind of nonsense? Has anyone found ways
around it? Our biggest problems are with CC and FF rules; we are
thinking about allowing both sides to move before resolving firefights
and CC; or letting all units within support range get involved, even if
they are from different detats, or going back to the roll-off system
between stands. The nice thing about that system was that the die rolls
almost always evened out, so a few bad die rolls wouldn't ruin the
game.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thane Morgan