[Epic] GW Cycles

From: William Rood <wrood_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:29:32 -0400

This is the information I have on GW game development cycles.

There are three primary games : Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40K,
and Epic40k (though my sources tell me Epic may be moved to the next level
down...but that is a different story). These three games flow in three to
four year cycles. Every three to four years, these flagship games will be
re-released / upgraded etc.

There are numerous secondary games : a la ManoWar, Necromunda, Gorka Morka,
etc. al. These secondary games are never intended to last for more than two
years. They usually have complete miniture lines released, full sets of
rules, and a game flow cycle of two years. Every two years, a new secondary
game is released. The true death knell of these games are when the
"compendium" set of rules are released.

If you had someone timeline the releases of Necromunda, Gorka Morka, Epic
40k, WHFB, and the up and coming WH40k you could see these game flows work
out. Judging by the timeline, you could estimate when the next secondary
game is coming out, etc.

Epic is not dead at all, it just may be relegated to the status of a
secondary game, and not a money maker game.

Regards,

William Rood