[Epic] [E40k] Battle Report

From: Philip Troy Routley <ptr320_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:08:19 -0600 (CST)

I just fought my second game of E40k, against a couple friends who are
interested in the game. One of them used to play AT, and has some minis
*somewhere* but has to find them, so we just split up my forces and did a
training exercise. We fought a meeting engagement on a table approx. 150cm
square. Forces were as follows:

Blue Team (under my command): Morale 16
   6th Tallarn Artillery (IG artillery co.)
        3 Basilisks
   Force Gabriel (Ravenwing det.)
        2 Bike units
        4 Landspeeders
        5 Attack Bikes
   Force Azrael (SM det.)
        Captain/rhino 3 Whirlwinds
        Librarian/rhino 2 Landraiders
        Terminator squad/Land Raider
        4 Tactical squads/rhinos

Yellow Team: Morale 19
   Force Gideon (SM armour det.)
        3 Whirlwinds Assault squad/rhino
        3 Landraiders Terminator squad
   Force Micheal (SM det.)
        Captain/jumppacks Support weapon
        Librarian/jumppacks
        Devastator squad
        4 Tactical squads
        2 Scout squads
   9th Tallarn Artillery (IG artillery co.)
        3 Bombards
   4th Tallarn Armour (IG armour co.)
        3 Leman Russes
        3 Hellhounds

Turn 1 movement: Blue team gets initiative, and surrender first move to
yellow. All detachments come onto the table, yellow scouts moving their
extra 30 and the 4th Tallarn armour marching and keeping abreast of the
scouts blue's right flank. Blue detachments come on, ravenwing marching on
the right flank and taking cover in a ruined city.
   Shooting: Blue artillery destroys two of Force Gideon's whirlwinds
placing a blast marker. Yellow counter-artillery destroys blue artillery.
[Lesson: Seige artillery is *amazing* for concentrating FP, and can march
move in the turns it can't fire].

Turn 2 Movement: Blue moves first, advancing with Force Azrael over yellow
T&H objective and toward blue T&H. Ravenwing goes onto assault orders and
repositions to assault 4th Tallarn Armour while staying in the cover of the
ruined city. Yellow moves 4th Tallarn Armour to envelope the Ravenwing,
Force Micheal goes on assault orders and advances toward the Ravenwing, 9th
Tallarn Arti march moves to reposition themselves. Force Gideon positions
at extreme range from Force Azrael (a few azrael units were in range of
gideon landraiders and whirlwind, little was in range for azrael).
   Shooting: Yellow shoots first, doing some damage to force Azrael, and
losing a Leman Russ to the Ravenwing (lucky shot). Ravenwing lose a bike
unit.
   Assault: Ravenwing assault 4th Tallarn armour, narrowly losing but
destroying all of the 4th Tallarn except 1 hellhound and only losing a
landraider themselves. Retreat takes them out of range of Force Micheal.

Turn 3: Force Azrael forms a loose line while on overwatch orders,
Ravenwing move on ravenwing special orders to take a T&H objective and get
into cover. Yellow Force Gideon pulls back from Force Azrael to continue
sniping them at long range. 9th Tallarn Artillery overwatches, while Force
Micheal moves toward the Ravenwing on assault orders.
   Shooting: Minor casualties between Gideon and Azrael, 9th Tallarn
splits fire and does fair casualties to both Azrael and the Ravenwing.
   Assault: Micheal's captain and psyker get into CC with the Ravenwing,
winning decisively but suffer an tragic loss as Brother-Episcolary Sammael
dies to a well placed chainsword. The Ravenwing 's three remaining units
retreat.

Turn 4: Azrael moves on assault orders to flush Gideon out of the other T&H
bunker, the Ravenwing cut their losses and head back through the ruined
city on march orders. Gideon leaves a terminator squad in the bunker and
moves the remainder back. 9th Tallarn and Micheal are basically out of the
battle, eating the dust of the ravenwing's retreat.
   Shooting: Forward placed Azrael whirlwind dies to 6 AT shots, Gideon
Terminator saves 2 AT hits.
   Assault: Azrael infantry out of range to engage Gideon terminators, but
3 rhinos move adjacent to the bunker (mistake - only 2 can gang up on the
terminator squad). Most of the remainder make it into support range,
easily beating the terminators and destroying them.

Final Morale: Blue team 9 + 2 (T&H) = 11
              Yellow team 15.

Closing notes:
1) Seige artillery is very effective - avg FP might be the same as heavy
artillery, but concentration of fire is very useful.
2) Fighting a retreating engagement is very handy for slowing a large
detachment. Move to extreme range and pick off the guys at the edges.
3) To take out armour, assault them with enough units in CC to be able to
engage all the close support vehicles (I wanted to engage the IG hellhounds
in order to take away there 3 FP, but had to engage the leman russes first
- and I got lucky and didn't suffer many casualties myself.
4) Blast markers didn't play a big part in this battle, with no unit
keeping more then 1 after the rally phase, and FP not significantly
reduced.

Troy