[Epic] Boardgames (or more non-epic stuff)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:08:20 -0600

   My usual group has been in a real slump for most of the past year (I
got married and now have a baby and have moved, another one just had a
baby and moved twice, another one moved, another one got a divorce <win
some, lose some> and another one joined a weird church and bailed on us)
so I've been trying to restart our regular get-togethers by lowering the
pressure - i.e. you don't have to bring all your mini's all the time -
by playing some of our "old favorite" games:
   Let's see, there's Star Fleet Battles (which can use miniatures, and
we all have miniatures for it), Battletech (which we all have minis for
and just can';t stand to play without), ASL (also can use minis), Axis &
Allies (which uses tons of plastic figures), or even Risk (plastic army
markers).
   I begin to see a trend here...
   The only non-mini using games we play on anything approaching a
regular basis are : Kings & Things (great game), The Awful Green Things
from Outer Space, Greyhawk Wars (We're AD&D grognards too). and the
Fleet Series games (6th Fleet, 7th Fleet, etc).

   OK, so my point is: What would you say is the main "other" game that
you play (not primarily a mini rules set)? Also, is there another
miniature game you are as devoted to as Epic?

I've left out other GW games, RPG's and Computer games, though I know
many of us dabble in those too.If that's your only bag, go ahead and
mention 'em. Might find a new opponent for some of the internet-playable
stuff, anyway. We might need to start another thread for the computer
stuff, but let's see.

I ask for two reasons - one, I'm betting we'll see some common stuff,
and also because anyone who likes epic enough to stick on this list may
have validity to their opinions on another game also, so I might need to
try it out.

Chris Miller