[Epic] Is GW going bust ????? - Thane read this.

From: Chris Pinson <chrisp_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 15:40:24 +0930

Ahah ... the joy of intelligent discussion (no sarcasm intended) ...

Chris=
, one of the penalties of a free media is people can talk about things othe=
r people don't like. A benefit is that you don't have to read ANY messages =
from this
thread, or any other. The discussion has been valid, topical, sup=
ported, and has led to many interesting posts from people with inside infor=
mation.

Whilst I agree that some discussion is warranted, the sheer volume=
 of posts over the few days was huge. Surely not all of them were valid. Th=
e ones I objected too were the ones where people were screaming about it li=
ke it would have been the end of the world.

Many of us WANT to know what i=
s going on inside of the industry, and what it will mean for our epic hobby=
. It seems pefectly at home on this list.

I agree, but only when it is too=
 acceptable levels.

I have zero details on the new release, and have seen =
none posted here. I have seen a picture of a chaos space marine rhino and s=
pace marine. I recall seeing pictures
of models a half year prior to their =
release to the public; perhaps some models have been made by GW studios whi=
ch have never been mass produced. WD 222 has NO NEW
RELEASES FOR EPIC this =
month, according to Andy's WD review. If you know otherwise, put up.

I hav=
e no new details beyond the speculation we have seen here. Whilst I will be=
 sad if epic dies again this should not stop us enjoying our hobby ... afte=
r all we are a bunch of resourceful people.

I won't say for certain that e=
pic is soon to go unsupported (again). It just looks that way. Maybe all th=
e rumors prompted the meager WD 222 coverage. Maybe our
continuous calls an=
d complaints are making a difference.

Not likely. The only way GW take not=
ice is through our power to spend.

So what posts do you want to see? We ha=
ve proven tactics discussions are resented by some list members. We have po=
sted detat lists from everyone who wanted to post
them. We've had several a=
lternative armies posts, several campaign posts, many battle reports; what =
topics is our industry speculation taking away from?

I, like everyone else=
, want posts which are interesting. This mailing list is starting to suffer=
 from the most vicious of virtual illnesses ... that of White Noise. It see=
ms to me that people post simply to post. It is like the internet. I am sic=
k of seeing sites which have zero content. 5 years ago information was easy=
 to find, now you have to wade through page after page of crap and porn (no=
t that porn is a bad thing :) ). Whilst you can never eradicate White Noise=
 it shouldn't constitute the majority of the content.

I guess I want peopl=
e to THINK before they post and if the message only concerns a few then e-m=
ail the directly. Some of us (not all) pay to download mail. It might not b=
e very expensive but it does add up.

This list is about Epic. A few posts=
 about the future of Epic are fine but why do people need to fixate upon it=
 ??? Maybe I have been around for longer than most but I have seen this shi=
t so many times before. Who remembers the 40k discussions before 2nd Ed cam=
e out and the major rumour was that the Emperor was going to be killed off =
... sound familiar ... check out the 40k list and you will see the very sam=
e discussion going on about 3rd Ed.

I just want people to think about ther=
e posts. I do not want this list to degenerate into another "Me too" list.
=

Sorry to whine but I think it is important.

Cheers Chris.