[Epic] Re:

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:46:11 -0600

Rick Biesik wrote:

> Over the weekend I called our local "Official GW outlet" (not just some
> franchised distributor) concerning the Firepower supplement. The salesman
> said after checking with other store workers that they knew nothing about
> it, had never heard of it and then had to repeat to me that they were Games
> workshop. After I told him that I knew who they were he wanted to know
> where I had heard about it. When I told him via an E-mail list for Epic, he
> informed me that there were alot of rumors out there and you can't believe
> all of them.
> To make things appear even more disorganized I purchased for my son the
> Chaos Army and when we checked it out we were missing half the rhinos, I
> called GW mail order and they said they would send out a blister of Rhinos.
> We received them in timely fashion but now I noticed that the Rhinos have
> Predator tracks with dimples in them where you mount the side gun sponsons
> on. What is wrong with them? While I am ranting, at the official stores
> that any of you go to, does the sales force immediately jump on the little
> kids when they come in and start feeding them the line such as "these are
> really cool", "what army do you collect?", "you just buy alittle at a
> time". My kids are 7 and 11 and it is a pain anytime we just want to stop
> in to see what is new, and right away they jump on each of us. May be I
> just do not like high pressure salesmanship, but it just seems a bit much
> to constantly be pounced on every time we enter the store, especially since
> the kids(not just mine) are very easy to sway. They appear to try to get
> them to get into the other lines of miniatures(WH40K, WH, Necro, Blood
> bowl,etc...) Unluckily we have no other choice since the two other
> franchised stores no longer carry Epic and the one other store which does
> is a hobby shop which carries a very minimal amount. I apologize for the
> rant but I am curious as to whether the other stores operate like this.
>
> Richard R.Biesik
> Electronics Purchaser
> Leica
> 3374 Walden Ave.
> Depew,N.Y.14043
> 716-686-4567
> 716-686-4540 (fax)

  We are fortunate enough not to have any GW stores yet, but this year has seen
our game store choices drop from 4 to 1. The remaining store tried to hire a
high pressure weasel boy, but our relaxed western atmosphere wasn't compatable
and complaints eventually forced him away. Monopoly:0, Consumers:1. We are
desperately hoping that our veiled threats of mail order keep the remaining
store in line --- "Wow, discount games gives a 35% discount; well, they can't
match a local store's service yet...."

Thane