[Epic] The return of Looney Rants!

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 16:40:47 -0500

WARNING RANTS IN PROGRESS

For some background on this one�

I called GW's USA mail order 800 number to subscribe to the CJ and the
WD. The troll/dweeb on the other end of the line was giving me this
long list of free or reduced price things I could get with a
subscription. So far so good. I ended up getting a box of Epic Ork
grunts. However AFTER I had finished that part of the transaction the
dweeb started raving on about how great E40K was (ok, he's right there)
and that the GREAT thing about was that you got enough figures in a box
to make a detachment. I made with "What ever" type noises to get him to
shut up and take my credit card number. After a while he did.

Today, while dealing with some real slow customers over the phone, I was
standing the very same box of Ork grunts. After doing that, and while
still dealing with my customers, (I work on telcom gear. I spend a lot
of time in conference calls, waiting on some switch tech to do something
so I can test my gear, and these bunch was slower than normal), I
started to get a little ticked off. (well the switch tech may have had
some thing to do with that....) If you take a single Ork infantry box,
and try and make a detachment or two out of it, you will have problems.
While you can make a legal detachment, all you really are doing is
making a blast marker magnet. I putzed about with the stuff and came
up with what I think is the best way to organize a single "Space Ork
Mob" box. I do NOT think this is a great set of detachments, but it
does appear to be what GW thinks a detachment should look like, at least
the MO trolls. With the figures in a single box, well, you have
problems. The problem is almost as bad as the old eldar box sets.

First the rants.
Remember "no left over figures"? Wrong. You will get left over
figures. Example: The say 2 nobz stands. They supply 11 Nobz They
say 4 stands of boyz, you get 28 figures. Plus a full extra stand of
Grots. Not that I mind having more figures, but don't tell me that I
will not have leftover figures then by God have leftovers.

Remember "You get enough to make a detachment in a box". Well, I don't
think the following makes a useful detachment, or for that matter a
useful mob as part of a detachment. 1 stand of Shooty boyz, 1 stand of
Stormboyz, 1 stand of Blood Ax Kommandos, and for that matter 3 stands
of grots.

Yeah, all of the above are "legal", but are in fact a waste of time to
deploy that way. We are back to, in the case of Orks, needing to have
at least 4, maybe 6 boxes of troops to be able to deploy rational sized
mobz

But to prove that I am in fact brain damaged, here are the two
detachments that I would use, if I had to make 1 or more detachments out
of a single box of Ork troops. I already posted "Task Force Cheddar",
which is the Space Marine version of this. I'll dig it up an look at it
again, with regards to making it rational, vs just being legal.

Waaagh-Brie

Da Shooty Warband
Warboss
        Upgrade to Stompa 64pts
Mobz

Shotty Boyz Mob 1 Unit 17pts
Boyz Mob 4 units 36pts

Support Mobz

Big Gunz Mob 1 Unit (Shock Attack Gun) 14pts
Bikeboyz Mob 1 Unit 13pts

Total detachment cost 144pts

Da Thumpy Warband
Command Unit
Warboss 40pts
Add Weirdboy 20pts

Mobz

Nobz Mod 2 units 28pts
BoarBoyz Mob 1 unit 13pts
Stormboyz Mob 1 unit 12pts
Kommandos Mob 1 unit 12pts
Gretchin Mob 2 units 10pts
Runt Herd (Nobz) 14pts (This is the Runtherd figure and 4 grots
on a stand)

Total Points 149pts

With any luck at all, I will be doing some small games this weekend at
the local gameshop (we are talking 750 points here, demo's in all but
name), so I will try these suckers out, allong with their Cult of Speed
mates...